In a variety of ways, smart devices like surveillance systems and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We are able to get notifications if someone arrives at our front porch, and we can even have footage sent to us when questionable behavior is happening. Having components we may interact with over the internet alerts us to potential risks instantly. But there is one primary disadvantage. The quick access that benefits us is also opening a door virtual intrusions.
Even though you don’t have to lay awake at night worrying about smart home hacking in Cedar Rapids, you ought to be aware of the potential danger and take action to circumvent it.
Ways To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
Practically anything can be connected to the internet today - your home’s security devices, light bulbs, and even your range. This also generates more opportunities for hackers to sneak into your network. That doesn't mean you have to forgo wireless home protection packages or other smart components. Alternatively, follow these recommendations and do your part to keep prowlers off your network.
- Create hard-to-crack passwords: This is a must for every account, and that includes your home’s wireless network. Use uppercase and lowercase and an assortment of letters, special characters, and numbers. Don’t use dates of birth, full words, or anything else hackers could easily guess. A password fabricator will give you something absolutely random and a password manager may assist you in tracking your different passwords and accounts.
- Avoid default settings: When setting up a new router, chances are it will come with a preprogrammed password to facilitate the setup. Adjust it immediately. Hackers will be aware of these default passwords as well. Configuring your wireless network and router correctly from day one is vital in keeping you protected.
- Consider a separate network: Why include your smart fridge, your security sensors, and your work laptop on one network? Most routers permit you to create a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and shield private material found on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for commercial networks. They might also be incorporated into your private network. Firewalls can keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and stop suspect activity. You might start with a router that offers a built-in firewall.
- Utilize the most up-to-date encryption standards and security protocols: If you own a recently manufactured router, you will likely be able to utilize WPA3, the most up-to-date wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You should find home security components that feature 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure firmware and software is updated: Keep your operating systems on the most recent version for all equipment, including your networked surveillance units. Many times, these updates will patch various susceptibilities and tighten up your network’s security.
Be Wary of Lower Quality Smart Home Devices In Cedar Rapids
One of the advantages of turning to a respected name like ADT is having the assurance that security implements are regularly being examined to address any flaws hackers could take advantage of. Other lesser-known products might not be so conscientious. Getting your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and additional smart devices from a single source like ADT is the right move. And getting all of your components installed at once will help ensure proper implementation, performance, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, uses two-way encryption when interacting with your smart devices.
Customize Your Own Cedar Rapids Home Defense Package
As you now have more knowledge on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, It’s the right moment to get started on your own smart home security system in Cedar Rapids. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to find the perfect package for your property. Dial (319) 214-2293 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.