Where are the best spots to place your home security cameras in Cedar Rapids? Normally, you should consider three primary areas of your property for video surveillance: your principal entryway, the exterior space around your home, and strategic interior positions. Although your security installer will be able to advise where you should install, consider the following best practices on where to place your home security cameras throughout your property.
Always Safeguard Your Front Door
While you might find it unlikely that a burglar would attempt to casually walk in your home’s main entryway, 34% of break-ins happen at this passageway. You can also count delivery bandits among other threats to think about. Doorbell surveillance is able to handle these possibilities with an HD, wide angle lens.
Video doorbells are nice as you have the ability to chat with any visitors who approach and press the button. By using your security app, like ADT Control, you may reply to all engagements with 2-way talk and live feeds and appear to be at home. Then if someone attempts something questionable, you are able to have your camera record a clip and send it to your smartphone with a text message.
Get the Most Coverage Possible With Your Exterior Surveillance System
Where to place home security cameras around your property can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some useful tips to help ensure you’re defended properly.
- Cameras at the corners of your Cedar Rapids residence provide a large viewing angle, letting you see two sections of your yard.
- Right under an overhanging eave or into a piece of trim or siding are perfect spots for security cameras as they will be partly obscured by the edge of your house.
- Above your garage, because the garage door is an easier passageway for burglars than you’d think!
- Overlooking a deck or sliding door -- or any entrance not visible from the sidewalk.
To make sure these locations are successful, you should always prune any overgrown plants or trees that might obstruct your view.
Tips For Getting The Highest Level of Performance From Your Interior Cameras
You have quite a bit more flexibility on where to place home security cameras on the interior of your property in Cedar Rapids. That same versatility results in there being additional aspects to contemplate:
- Windows and Sunlight: Even though you should ensure your windows are closed and locked, the sunshine through a window can cause glare and affect your surveillance footage. Point the lens away from direct blasts of sunshine to circumvent this issue.
- Use Your Height Advantage: In the same fashion as a guard tower, a security camera located in a high place will provide a more panoramic view. Consider putting your cameras on top of tall pieces of furniture or mounted on a corner or ceiling.
- Keep Out of Reach: Your video equipment won’t have the chance to defend your property if it’s broken. Install your devices in locations where kids and your furry friends have no ability to interact with them. You might consider mounting or a different method to secure them to make sure they don’t crash to the ground if mistakenly jostled.
- Use Plants and Decor to Your Advantage: The best security camera won’t do much good if you have a decorative item or plant in the way. But it’s important to note, potted plants and other decor items may be a perfect way to cloak your recording devices. Just make sure they don’t impede the view!
Have Secure24 Alarm Systems Install And Place Your Home Security Cameras
For expert installation of your home security cameras and other security equipment, enlist the experienced technicians at Secure24 Alarm Systems. We’ll find the perfect system for your whole house -- safeguarding all areas. Just call (319) 214-2293 or fill out the form on this page to arrange a consultation.